Saturday, November 1, 2008

I hope everyone had a fun Halloween; the weather here was awesome....everyone was out in tee shirts or sweatshirts walking with their kids; I don't remember a Halloween like this in years. Today is nearly 70, but good weather doesn't last forever and we have a cold front moving in the next couple days; back to wearing sweathirts and coats.
So far, this diet program has been really quite effortless; I have a delightful shake for breakfast (they really are yummy and filling) and a protein bar for mid morning, another shake for lunch, with another protein bar for mid afternoon; the key is to keep your body out of famine mode and then a sensible dinner to keep burning fat and preserving muscle. My exercise program consists of a short warm up, then stretches; Crossroad Fitness has a total body "circuit" workout with weights.....you just keep increasing the weights to build your muscles; then I finish with 30 to 40 minutes on either the arc trainer or treadmill, then a nice stretch afterwards to finish off the session. I love how it feels, no matter how hot and sweaty I get, I've never said "oh man, sure wish I hadn't exercised". I'm tackling my weight head on and I could not do it without the help from the gals and Dr's at the Fountain of Youth and of course, the gym. Some poeple need the structure and the accountability and I'm one of them. I already am being much more disciplined and making better food choices; I didn't have a single Halloween treat this week.....wasn't even tempted. I didn't feel cheated....my eye is still on that dangling carrot waiting for me at the end of the year when I get to my goal weight.
The first 10 days or so of the weight loss program was hard.....I craved everything, was hungry all day long; but I never cheated because you have to write a food diary each day.....I couldn't let Debbie down! Once that phase was over and my clothes fit looser...didn't have to lie on the bed to get the zippers up......my energy level is much higher, there is no crash after lunch....I love it. If I do get a little hungry, I just eat an apple or have some nuts, cheese, etc. That's enough to satisfy my hunger until dinner time with my family. You also have to make sure to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day...sometimes I don't quite get that, but I try really hard.
The other key to the program is how you look at food....I'd eat just because it tasted good or didn't want to waste it...good grief. It has to be a fuel, not a hobby or as I said before, an Olympic sport. I feel so blessed; this really couldn't have come at a better time; I want to be healthy and am mentally ready to make these lifetime changes......it's now or never, do or die; and I've got a lot of living to do and I want to do it as a size nine (or smaller) and not have to hide behind baggy clothes to try to make myself look thinner or avoid meeting up with old friends because I'm embarrassed at how heavy I made myself. If I can do this, anyone can.....and don't wait....make the call.....the help is there. I still thank the good Lord for showing me that entry form that day....and I wish Jeremy, Cindee and Sharisse all the best! Til next time....Rita

No comments: